Special Character Statement
The Special Character of Southcity Christian School is determined by the Statement of Faith and the Guiding Principles for Education as contained in the Proprietors’ Trust Deed, and defined in our agreement with the Crown. The Southcity Educational Charitable Trust shall have the right to determine from time to time, what is necessary to preserve and safeguard the Special Character.
Our Special Character means that:
- We are a non-denominational school, with a Protestant focus, with families from a wide variety of mostly evangelical churches. A condition for preference enrolment is that the church and family have a statement of faith similar to that of the school, and that the parents attend church on a regular basis.
- We believe that parents are the first teachers and that education is ultimately the responsibility of parents.
- We work in partnership with parents and encourage their involvement.
- We deliver the New Zealand Curriculum from a Biblical worldview.
- We employ committed Christians as our teaching staff.
- We seek to provide an environment where students, parents and staff experience Godly relationships.
- We rely on the Holy Spirit and the Word of God.
- We exercise the right to live and teach the values of Jesus Christ, as expressed in the Bible and in the practices, worship and doctrine of the wider evangelical Protestant church.
- We are happy to enrol students from non-Christian or non-Protestant homes. Non-preference enrolments are limited by our Integration Deed, and the Proprietor determines the limit of non-Protestant families. This is in order to maintain our Special Character as defined above.
The staff at Southcity Christian School aim to nurture students who are:
- Recipients of an excellent Christian education.
- Compassionate to the needs of others.
- Determined to live as honest, just and righteous citizens.
- Confident of God’s hand on their lives.
- Developing in their Biblical worldview.
- Genuine and enthusiastic about sharing their faith in Jesus Christ.
- Confident in developing all their God-given abilities.
The above is summarised in our school vision statement.
“To know, love and serve God.”